New Approaches to Qur'an and Exegesis
Center for Global Islamic Studies Fall Conference, 2010
October 22, 2010, 8:00 PM to October 23, 2010, 8:00 PM
This conference will bring together international scholars working on the Qur'an and its classical commentary tradition (tafsir). The presenters will discuss how new scholarly approaches to the Qur'an and the tafsir tradition have led to an increasing appreciation for the diversity of ways in which the Qur'an has been received and interpreted by Muslims, and the significance of this research for contemporary Muslim understandings of the text.
List of Speakers:
Saturday, October 23rd
- Dr. Walid Saleh (University of Toronto),
"Arabic Historiography of Tafsir: Printing and Ideology in the Modern Islamic World", Saturday Oct. 23rd at 9:30am
- Dr. Feras Hamza (American University of Dubai), "The Unwritten Tafsir and the Lingering Elusiveness of the Qur'anic Text," Saturday Oct. 23rd at 9:30am
- Dr. Asma Afsaruddin (Indiana University),
"Reading Martydrom in the Qur'an: An Exegetical Survey of Key Verses", Saturday Oct. 23rd at 11:15am
- Dr. Caner Dagli (College of the Holy Cross),
"The Laws of War and Religious Coversion in the Qur'an", Saturday Oct. 23rd at 11:15am
- Dr. Todd Lawson (University of Toronto),
"Tafsir and the Meaning of the Qur'an: The Crucifixion in Muslim Thought", Saturday Oct. 23rd at 2:00pm
- Dr. Joseph Lumbard (Brandeis University),
"Covenant and Covenantalism in the Qur'an", Saturday Oct. 23rd at 2:00pm
- Dr. Daniel Madigan (Georgetown University),
"Trends in Non-Muslim Readings of the Qur'an", Saturday Oct. 23rd at 3:45pm
- KEYNOTE SPEECH: Dr. Seyyed Hossein Nasr (George Washington University), Saturday Oct. 23rd at 5:30pm at Mason Inn and Conference Center (Junior Ballroom).
Sunday, October 24th
- Dr. Muzaffar Iqbal (Center for Islam and Science),
"New Approaches to the Qur'an and Science Nexus", Sunday Oct. 24th at 11:00am
- Dr. Mohammed Rustom (Carleton University),
"The Word Made Book: Mulla Sadra's Qur'anic Hermeneutics in Context", Sunday Oct. 24th at 11:00am
- Farhana Mayer (Institute of Ismaili Studies, London),
"Mystical Hermeneutics and Cosmology in the Tafsir Ascribed by the Sufis to Ja'far al-Sadiq", Sunday Oct. 24th at 1:30pm
- Dr. Kristin Sands (Sarah Lawrence University),
"The Problem of Listless Lovers in al-Qushayri's Lata'if al-Isharat", Sunday Oct. 24th at 1:30pm
- Dr. Qamar Al-Huda (US Institute of Peace),
"Modern Tafsir on Peace-building and Reconciliation in the Qur'an", Sunday Oct. 24th at 3:15pm
- Dr. Juliane Hammer (George Mason University),
"American Muslim Women's Readings of the Qur'an," Sunday Oct. 24th at 3:15pm
To view the conference flyer, click here.
For the full conference schedule, click here.
To watch recorded conference presentations, click here.
Sponsored by the Ali Vural Ak Center for Global Islamic Studies.